11/30/2010

A Yummy Pie Recipe

So I am the only one in my family that doesn't like Pumpkin pie and I never have - I know, how Un-American :)  So I decided to try a new dessert recipe this year on Thanksgiving.  I figured if it didn't come out right then I would be the only one without dessert. Good thing for me it came out great.

So the dessert that I decided to try is Paula Dean's My Friend Flicker Pie. It was amazing, especially if you like Snickers candy bars like me.

So here is a picture of the 1 piece that was left after Thanksgiving dinner.


The nice thing about this pie is it is so easy to make that I actually made it the morning of Thanksgiving in about a half hour.  And I used up the Snickers left over from Halloween by chopping them and sprinkling on top of the pie.

So here is the recipe that I made:

  • a single pie crust - prebaked

  • 4 king-sized Snickers candy bars 

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

  • 4 cups whipped topping


  • I melted the candy bars, peanut butter and heavy whipping cream in a double boiler until melted and all combined together.  Then I let it cool down for a few minutes - it didn't take long either.
    Combined this with a tub of extra creamy cool whip and put it in the pie shell.  Then I popped it in the freezer until after dinner.  When I served the pie I took chocolate syrup and swirled over the pie to make it look pretty.

    Once I was all done I went back and reread the recipe and discovered that I left a few ingredients out of my version.

    So here is Paula's recipe::

  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

  • 3 tablespoons sugar

  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted

  • 4 king-sized candy bars (nougat topped with peanuts and caramel covered with milk chocolate)

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half

  • 4 cups whipped topping

  • Additional whipped topping and chocolate syrup, for garnish


  • Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    To make crust, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press down into the bottom of a pie pan to form a crust and bake for about 8 minutes.
    In the top of a double boiler, melt together candy bars, peanut butter, and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Fold in whipped topping, pour into crust, and freeze for 4 to 6 hours before serving. (For a richer pie, substitute 2 cups heavy cream, whipped with 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form, in place of prepared whipped topping.)
    When ready to serve, top with additional whipped topping and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Store in refrigerator.

    So a big OOPS there and maybe next time I will follow Paula's recipe a little better but I really liked it the way I made it.  Hubby did make the comment that it wasn't one of his favorite desserts that I make but the kids loved it and so did I. This would be a great summer dessert cause it is almost like an ice cream pie. 

    Let me know if you have every made this pie before and if your family liked it.

    Thanks for stopping by...
    C

    2 comments:

    1. That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'm not a pumpkin pie fan either. Besides, I really feel that if it's not chocolate, it's not really dessert! The pie sounds fabulous! :)

      Tammy
      http://yourmemoryconnection.com

      ReplyDelete